Ellie-bean, our cat for those who don’t know, has been sick the past few days.  From pretty much when she first showed up at our house she’s had a bit of weirdness with one of her eyes – her right eye gets cloudy on occasion, but it normally clears up within a few days.  Well, she’s had this again recently, but the eye isn’t clearing up and she’s been keeping it closed more often than not.  So we took her to the vet this afternoon.

An aside about the vet – since we’ve moved here in 2001, we’ve been fortunate to have the same vet, who has always been awesome.  It’s really nice to have a vet that you trust.  However, a few weeks ago, we received a lett in the mail saying she was quitting her practice in order to move to a different city and stay home and take care of her kids.  Which is great for her, but really sad for us.  So, her practice has been bought out by two vets who apparently 1) just graduated vet school, and 2) aren’t married, but are apparently living together (according to the gossip from the vet techs).  I don’t really care at all that they’re living together without being married, but it seems really kind of odd to me that they’ve committed to co-owning such a demanding business together while they’re just living together.  I don’t know, maybe that’s just me being weird.

We haven’t been introduced to the guy vet yet, but we had to take Toby in last week for her annual shots and stuff.  The female vet was there, and we were not impressed at all.  She was over a half hour late getting in to the exam room without even apologizing for our wait.  She continually referred to Toby as ‘he’ (and I know, Toby’s normally a boy’s name, but come on, get it right after a while).  She made Toby jump when giving her a shot, something Toby has never, ever done before – she’s normally so laid back when going to the vet that there’s never any problem with her.  We weren’t given her blood test results back until the following day, after we had been promised them the afternoon of the exam.  And even then, we had to call and request the results before they were given to us.  And, to top it all off, we felt like she was more interested in treating the exam as a commercial for various vet-related projects instead of, oh, actually examining our cancer-surviving dog.

So that really pissed us off, and we decided after Toby’s visit that we would start looking for a new vet.  Unfortunately, Ellie’s eye thing came up and we pretty much had to get her in, so back to the new vet we went.

For whatever reason – it may have been that the vet had had an extra week to acclimate to her new environment, or maybe she was just so relieved that a patient had returned to her rather than just show up to get their pets’ records (like the other person we saw in the office today), or maybe she’s just better than cats with dogs – but the vet was a lot better this time.  She actually seemed to know what she was talking about, and didn’t try to sell me anything extra until I asked her about stuff (any type of supplement to give Ellie to promote eye health).

So, the vet gets a reprieve.  For now.  We’ll see how she deals with Bela.  That ought to be a hoot.

Anyway, I had googled some cat eye health stuff before the vet appointment, and everything New Vet told me was pretty much in line with what I had read earlier.  Maybe she read the same websites!  We were given some ointment to apply to Ellie’s eye over the next week.  That is going to prove to be a nightmare.  Travis and I managed to get some on her eye before Travis went to work tonight – he held her down, and I squirted the stuff on her eye.  I have no idea how I’m going to do this myself.  It’s going to suck pretty majorly.  Oh, and did I mention that eye things totally squick me out?  I was getting nauseous at the vet’s today when New Vet was examining Ellie’s eye.  So you can get an idea of how well this is going to go.

In other news, I’m almost done with Dad’s socks.  I have about half of the foot on the second sock left to knit.  Hopefully, I can finish them up tomorrow and ship them out to him on Thursday.  Then I’ll start Travis’ socks from his hand-dyed.  That’s the good thing about this Kraemer yarn – knitting socks on size 5 needles takes about 5 seconds to do.

Oh, and Karida, here’s the blinged-out Babe:

I’m hoping to get a new spinning wheel soon (actually, I hope to get it ordered tomorrow), so the Babe is going to be used primarily by Travis after it comes.  But the new wheel probably is going to wind up with a bit o’ bling on it as well…


5 thoughts on “Bummer”

  1. I’m lovin’ the blinged out babe. Will you come and pretty up by Babe Bulky Production wheel? I’ve named him Rumplestiltskin and he has to reside in my basement because Nick thinks he’s too ugly to be in the rest of the house…

    How is the Bean doing today? Cat eye gunk is totally gross. I’m right there with ya!


  2. squick is my new favorite word.
    sorry to hear ellie’s suffering, but glad the new vet redeemed herself some.
    i wanna see the dad socks and that blinged out wheel almost makes me want to put down my knitting long enough to learn to spin… …almost. 😉


  3. Cat stuff always makes me really really sad, so I hope she’s better soon. The Babe is hotness. You may have inspired me to get Micah to help me pimp my S10 a la his mixer…


  4. Hope Ellie-bean is better very soon! If it’s anything like putting eye drops in the eyes of a 3- or 5-year old, I can really empathize. Except your kitty may have claws, which uts a whole new spin on things!
    I’m almost 100% sure Miss Stephanie wasn’t talking about my post, but it sure made me think! I looked around, but didn’t find any dirt myself.


Comments are closed.